This easy Wagyu tri-tip recipe is done in just 20 minutes.
Also known as Santa Maria roast, the beef is accented with a spice rub and Romesco sauce.
- 1 Wagyu Beef Tri Tip
- Kosher Salt
– For the Rub
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
– For the Sauce
- 2 large roasted red peppers in olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ cup Marcona almonds
- ¼ cup tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Remove tri tip from the refrigerator about an hour before cooking. Trim excess silver skin. Make a note of how the grain of the meat runs. In tri tip, the direction of the grain may change; after cooking make sure to cut against the grain. Season both sides with kosher salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together coffee, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and pepper until well mixed. Liberally season both sides of the tri tip with the rub.
- TO GRILL: preheat a charcoal or gas grill to high. Place tri tip over direct heat and cook for about 5-6 minutes, flip and cook about 5-6 minutes more. Then lower gas to medium, or move the meat to a cooler part of the charcoal grill. Turn meat again and cook another 7-8 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare. A 2-pound Wagyu tri tip will require approximately 18-20 minutes total grilling time. Rest roast on a cutting board for 10-20 minutes. Proceed to step 5.
- TO PAN-ROAST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 2 tablespoons of neutral oil in a heavy, oven-safe pan (we like cast iron) over high heat until nearly smoking. Add tri tip to pan and immediately reduce heat to medium-high. Sear for about 4 minutes then flip and put pan into the preheated oven. Roast for about 15 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare. Rest roast on a cutting board for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: To the bowl of a food processor add red peppers, garlic, almonds, tomato purée, parsley, vinegar, paprika, and cayenne. Pulse until very finely chopped. With the processor running, slowly add in olive oil; process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice tri tip against the grain and serve with romesco sauce.