Wagyu Ambassador Chef Robyn Quist is spicin’ things up with her recipe for Chile-Spiced Wagyu Flank Steak Tacos. This recipes requires marinating the Wagyu flank steak overnight and is an easy, yet impressive twist from everyday tacos. Chef Robyn even shows you how in a step-by-step video!
- 2 teaspoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Chile Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Wagyu Flank Steak, cut into 5-inch strips or leave whole (Strip Steak also works well)
- Tortillas, warmed Pico de Gallo, Avocado Crème and shredded Cilantro Slaw, for serving
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the paprika, ancho powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, chipotle, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Add the lime juice and oil and shake the bag to blend. Add the steak (in slices or whole – see below) and seal the bag, marinading overnight. Let the steak with marinade come to room temperature for 2 hours before cooking.
- Option A – for cooking flank steak in strips (use Option B for cooking whole flank) – Heat a cast iron pan or a grill pan to medium-high heat. Cook the slices of flank steak until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes total. Serve with tortillas, Pico de Gallo, Avocado Creme and Cilantro Slaw.
- Option B – for cooking whole flank steak – You can also marinade whole pieces of flank steak and grill for 8-10 minutes (depending on the thickness of your steak), turning once for medium rare. Then cut into thin slices, cutting against the grain into thin slices.
Chef Robyn Quist is originally from Hastings, Nebraska, and now lives outside of Lincoln, Nebraska, with her husband Jeremy. She has been a Private Chef for the past 13 years and is also a Chef Instructor for Art & Soul in Lincoln. Chef Robyn has been featured in the Lincoln Journal Star for a class she did honoring Anthony Bourdain and his recipes. “Bourdain is one of my favorite chefs and has been a culinary inspiration to me,” said Chef Robyn, who spends her spare time creating and writing recipes. She is passionate about creating dishes and recipes that include local ingredients from local producers. She and Jeremy have four children.
- Prep Time: Prep 5 to 10 minutes; Marinade time = 2 hours
- Cook Time: 3 to 4 minutes
Keywords: wagyu beef; flank steak; skirt steak