This delicious recipe was shared with us by the talented Emily Campbell, Founder & Executive Chef at The Elephant Bistro & Bar located in Hoxie, Kansas.
20 minutes prep; 20 minutes cooking time.
For the Aioli:
- 14 ounces of Chipotle Chili’s
- 4 tsp Lime Juice
- 2 cups Mayonaise
- 2 tbsp Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
For the Onions:
- 2 cups Oil (or enough to be one inch deep in a large skillet)
- 1 whole Onion, Sliced into Rings
- 1 cup Pancake Mix
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 dash Cayenne or Black Pepper
For the Wagyu Burgers:
- 2 lbs of 100% Fullblood Wagyu Ground Beef (yes… the 100% Fullblood part makes a difference!)
- Garlic Powder
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Shredded Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1/2 lb 100% Fullblood Wagyu Beef Bacon
- Tomato Slices
- 6 Brioche Buns
Make the aioli: Puree chilis for 30 seconds in food processor and transfer to another bowl. In same food processor, combine remaining ingredients. Add 1 Tbsp chilis at a time and mix until desired spiciness is achieved
Make the hamburgers:
- Preheat a pan or griddle on medium heat. Cook bacon until rendered and crispy. Remove bacon and set aside on paper towels.
- Season hamburger patties with the garlic powder, sea salt and pepper to taste. Place on same griddle and cook in leftover bacon fat. Sear for 2-3 minutes until cooked halfway through. Flip, top with shredded smoked gouda. Cook 3 more minutes for medium (or to desired doneness).
For the onion rings:
- Pour oil in a high-sided skillet and heat over medium high heat while slicing onion. In a medium bowl mix pancake mix, flour and seasonings.
- When oil reaches about 350 degrees, start dipping onion slices into buttermilk, then flour mixture and repeat (once more in buttermilk, then in the flour mixture). Continue with more onion slices until a single layer fills the bottomw of the frying pan, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry, turning once, until golden and crispy, about 3-5 minutes per batch.
- Continue with more batches until done. Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with more salt if needed.
Meanwhile, brush the insides of the buns with butter and toast in the pan or griddle, about 1 minute. Put the burgers on the bun bottoms, top with bacon, chipotle aioli, onion rings, lettuce and tomato.
Enjoy with your favorite sides!