Wagyu Ambassador Chef Robyn Quist shares how to make the perfect Wagyu beef burger with Roasted Garlic Aioli and Carmelized Onions in a Red Wine Reduction.
You can see exactly how Chef Robyn does it in the following video!
For the Burger:
- 2 Wagyu Beef Burger Patties (1/3 lb each)
- 2 Nice Hamburger Buns
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 slices White Cheddar
- Lettuce leaves
Caramelized Onions in a Red Wind Reduction Ingredients:
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme
- 3 tablespoons Red Wine
Roasted Garlic Aioli Ingredients:
- 3 Large Cloves of Garlic
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Mayonaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
Start by Caramelizing the Onions in a Red Wine Reduction:
- Cut the top off the onion but leave the root intact. Slice in half. Lay flat and cut into thin slices.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium low heat. Add butter and olive oil.
- Add onion and 2 tsp. of fresh thyme.
- Cook for about 30 minutes until the onions are nice and golden, stirring every once and awhile.
- Once the onions are nice and golden add 3 tbsp. of red wine and continue cooking until the wine has reduced and has incorporated into the onions, taste & season with salt if needed.
Next Make the Roasted Garlic Aioli:
- Cut the tops off 3 cloves of garlic. Place on a piece of foil and drizzle with a little olive oil. Wrap like a package and place on a small sheet pan. Roast in a 375-degree oven for 25 minutes until garlic is nice and soft.
- Press the cloves out of the skin of the cloves and smash with the flat side of a knife blade.
- In a bowl mix ¼ cup mayonnaise with ½ tsp. lemon juice and the garlic paste. Mix to combine.
Finally, Cook the Wagyu Burgers & Assemble:
- Toast the hamburger buns by spreading butter on the insides of the buns and placing in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes until nice and golden.
- Season the Wagyu patties with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium high heat and add 1-2 tbsp. butter of butter to the pan. Once melted add the patties and cook for 2- 2 1/2 minutes on the first side for rare to medium rare.
- Flip and add your slices of cheese so that the cheese can melt as you continue cooking the patties. Cook for another 2-2 1/2 minutes or until you Wagyu patties are cooked to your desired doneness.
- Place lettuce on the bottom half of your toasted hamburger buns followed by the wagyu patty.
- Next spread with the garlic aioli and top with the caramelized onions in the red wine reduction.